My platform of choice during the Traveling Geeks 09 trip to Paris was first Twitter to microblog, then loading the microblog items to a blog post (my blogging platform is Typepad). Twitter is an application that allows people to share what they are doing at the moment in 140 characters or less. My niche on Twitter is to share parenting and technology updates, so this information would fit within my framework. At LeWeb I learned about Seesmic so I hope to try that out as an interface for my next microblogging adventure. I will also be experimenting with using the BlackBerry app for Whrrl to capture “stories” on the run.
I purchased an AT&T 200 MB International data plan for my BlackBerry Bold in preparation for microblogging in Paris, using my own daily calculations to make sure I would not go over (which is very expensive). All of this preparation would allow me to enjoy the tour, capturing the key moments while not taking too much time away to prepare blog posts until I returned home. Although microblogging does now allow in-depth analysis, it does capture the key points.
The International Data plan also helped me keep my smartphone email and social media app. addiction satisfied during my trip to Paris. The thought of a smartphone without a data plan was too much to handle.
Here is my Twitter Stream from the #TG09 Traveling Geeks 09 trip to Paris. Each tweet is from my Twitter stream unless it has a “RT” or retweet in front of it. I took out my Twitter ID (TechMama) and hashtags after the first few to make it easier to read.
As I said in my post about global “geek” language, we had a dream team of geeks on the trip: Renee Blodgett, Matthew Buckland, Amanda Coolong, Kim-Mai Cutler, Olivier Ezratty, Eliane Fiolet, Tom Foremski, Phil Jeudy, Frederic Lardinois, Robert Scoble , Sky Schuyler, Rodrigo Sepulveda Schulz, David Spark, Ewan Spence, Jerome Tranié, and Robin Wauters. For full coverage of the Traveling Geeks Paris Tour 09 click over to the website. To follow the Traveling Geeks, there is a Facebook page and a Twitter list. there is a I would have included more of the social banter that went on between the geeks, but I did not think it could be easily translated into 140 characters:
If we were not taking pictures, video, blogging, podcasting, microblogging, then we were talking about the gadgets we use to do that. If we were not talking about gadgets, then we were talking about the businesses or social media. We did all of this while walking all over the beautiful streets of Paris, at meetings or meet-ups, or running to and from the Paris Metro. But it was on the Paris Metro – that an stylish elderly French woman helped us understand that at times our laughing or conversation got too loud; she turned around to me on the Metro and said “Shhhhh” (international language for BE QUIET!).
techmama‘s Traveling Geeks Paris Tour 09 Twitter stream:
- techmama Shout out to #TG09 co-orgs: Eiane Fiolet f/ @ubergizmo, Renee Blodgett @magicsaucemedia & Phil Jeudy – Sky & for IT http://bit.ly/5W4xdu
- techmama @kimmaicutler and @techmama along with the other TravelingGeeks at #TG09Paris 1st night dinner,we had a fun trip on metro to get to dinner
- techmama Learning about http://www.moblieglobe.com – seemless international calling. Wished I would of signed up before I left.. #TG09 Paris
- #TG09 kick off diner with The traveling geeks @magicsauce @fredericl @robinwauters @kimmaicutler @tomforemski @acoolong @techmama (and @olivez @ubergizmo @dspark @ewan and @jimsky7)
- techmama Les Traveling Geeks Goes to Paris Mashcast video is now LIVE http://is.gd/5epU2 @TravelingGeeks
- techmama Amazed-great reception my AT&T 3G on BlackBerry Bold in Paris, #Twitter & #Facebook also quick response.Next step is testing WiFi on netbook
- RT @pearltrees Some @travelinggeeks in Pearltrees right now #tg09 #leweb #pearltrees http://twitpic.com/sijsu
- Learning about @pearltrees – Allows you to organize your fav content on web & get connected to people who share interests #TG09
- @PearlTrees interface allows you to manipulate and move your content, can create Pearls from Tweets & Tweets from Pearls #TG09
- @PearlTrees can be shared on Facebook, Twitter, email, embed (incl.your blog) and every PearlTree has their own URL #TG09
- Looking at @PearlTrees screencast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJ9aDVyLUw #TG09
- Looking at the @Travelinggeeks #TG09 Flickr pictures http://travelinggeeks.com/photos/ #fb
- Visiting http://siliconsentier.org/ Silicon Sentier, a cluster of 150 small & middle IT companies in Paris or nearby #TG09
- At Silicon Sentier #TG09 -Learning about MXP4, interactive listening, remix & personal playback site. http://www.mxp4.com/
- Meeting at La Canteen w/ Invest in France Agency & Cap Digital, @soufron from http://www.capdigital.com/ introduced the event #TG09
- Invest in France Agency & Cap Digital event #TG09 – Learning about http://www.musicovery.com/ Time article; http://bit.ly/11JjGc
- RT @soufron @techmama have also a look at Cap Digital, the mothership of them all : http://www.capdigital.com/
- Cap Digital event #TG09 – http://www.musicovery.com/ Built matrix based on psychologist model -music and mode parameters used to link songs.
- Cap Digital Event #TG09 Listening about CiTu http://www.citu.info , CiTu is dedicated to research in emerging media fields.
- Cap Digital Event #TG09 CiTu http://www.citu.info, mentioning http://theartcollider.org/
- Paris – Hearing from BearTech http://bearstech.com/
- Paris Learning about Feedbooks Buy, Borrow (from library), Subscribe, Sample or Download books. http://feedbooks.com/
- @robinwauters Agreed, why is it that my Flickr pictures are uploading faster here in Paris then at my house in California?
- Paris – Learning about XWiki http://www.xwiki.com/
- Paris – Learning about af83 http://www.af83.com/
- At Orange Labs, They have home wireless gadgets, TV subscription service, playback and website.
- #TG09 Orange Labs websites: 61 million unique visitors worldwide, partners with newpapers and Wikipdia ( @orangewikipedia )
- Orange Labs has a search engine website: Search text, video and audio.
Mixes news and content on same subject but dif. languages
- @johnlpainter yes, lots of video and pictures on the http://www.TravelingGeeks.com website
- Orange Labs has moblie apps, agregates moblie access to favorite social media and feeds, incl Twitter picture MMS feature
- Presen. by Cedexis ,which provides collective intelligence platform
that enables next gen traffic management strategies (no site yet)
- Hearing about Cedexis Radar (crowd based perf. monitoring)- compares mult. data centers, delivery networks, and cloud providers
- Hearing about Cedexis Open Mix-Cloud-based Global Traffic Management
Platform(enables dynamic decisions based on real-time data feeds)
- Paris @juliencoulon (Co-Founder) gave presentation on Cedexis, site will be up soon
- Talking with @jxo – who advises and mentors entrepreneurs (has international clients).
- At Paris Innovation Reunion, The Paris Digital Content Companies Incubator http://www.incubateurparisdev.com/ hosts 100 startups
- #TG09 Paris Innovation Reunion discussing reasons2choose Paris: market in heart of Europe, quality of life, wired city….
- #TG09 Paris Innovation Reunion: Hearing from Int13 – next gen mobile games http://www.int13.net/fr
- @Scobleizer just explained to the incubator group that they all need to be on Twitter. @Scobleizer “World-brand-building http://bit.ly/5Vof3Z “)
- Paris Innovation Reunion – CityZeum travel info for web and mobile http://www.cityzeum attracted 7 million travelers this year
- Paris Innovation Reunion- Scan and Target http://www.scanandtarget.com/ solution for real time text mining for web and mobile contents
- Paris Innovation Reunion- Rue89: Pure player news website (produce news in collaboration with news and experts) http://www.rue89.com/
- Paris Innovation Reunion – Gostai produces universal robotics software platform http://www.gostai.com/
- Paris Innovation Reunion- Zoomorama is a solution for zoomable images (a international team of developers) http://www.zoomorama.com/
- Paris Innovation Reunion- Stribe: Plug and play service to instantly create a social network on any website http://www.stribe.com/
- Paris Innovation Reunion – Path Motion developed a career planning and job search tool http://www.pathmotion.com/
- Paris Innovation Reunion -Website to find tutors http://www.teacheo.com & http://www.blueteach.com/ -online toolkit for live teaching
- Paris Innovation Reunion – MLstate code to build web applications http://www.mlstate.com
- Paris Innovation Reunion: Stupeflix – http://www.stupeflix.com/ turns your pictures, videos, & text into professional videos.
- http://twitpic.com/srvsr – #TG09 at Just arrived to #LeWeb, discussion about enabling more people to use technology
- Microsoft Bizspark provides tools for startups, discussing having one application that goes to many platforms incl. moblie Theme of #LeWeb is Real Time Web – Real time feeds for visual (photos, video) and social apps like Twitter
- Microsoft BizSpark initiative has 1000 partners, business relationships w/ Twitter, Facebook and MySpace
- Discussing iPhone app for LeWeb, probably picking up this tweet b/c I used #LeWeb hashtag, integegrates Ustream and Facebook
- @TravelingGeeks are meeting with @RichardatDell at #LeWeb
- In Aug 2006 @RichardatDell was given role to monitor and engage social media #TG09
- Dell actively monitors social media to listen and engage with customers, customer input is worked into customer design and support
- @RichardatDell explaining Dell social media channels include Twitter, blogs, Facebook pages
- @ConfFar #LeWeb is in Paris, attendees are from all over the world
- Two other Dell Twitter IDs are @Dellservergeek and @mdomsch to provide tech server info
- Dell sales (current data) f/ various Twitter outlets globally is 6.5 million
- Dell connects to 3.5 million customers across social media outlets
- Good Dell Twitter ID to follow for families is @edu4u
- Retweet @kristiewells Two years ago, there was only one Twitter app — today, there are over 50k. #leweb
- RT MySpace opening up their real-time ‘stream’ as well. Let the data flow… #leweb
- (RT )kristiewells MySpace opening 3 APIs: (1) search for people, images/videos, (2) public access to user activity stream/profile, (3) commenting #leweb
#tg09 #leweb Hanging out at Microsoft BizSpark lounge at LeWeb; the traveling geeks are blogging up a storm…
- Taking a look at Answers.com http://www.answers.com/
- @AnswersDotCom has Twitter ID and other social media outlets
- Talking w/ @clubcooee http://www.clubcooee.com/ 3D messanger client with chatrooms ,social media & social sharing #Microsoft BizSpark
- Taking with @tobiaspeggs about @oneriot Real time search engine #Microsoft BizSpark
- Other #Microsoft BizSpark co. at #LeWeb : Huddle (online collaboration platform) http://www.huddle.net
- Other #Microsoft BizSpark co. at #LeWeb : Xobni for people to manage, organize, and search e-mail http://www.xobni.com
- #TG09 Reading @robinwauters @TechCrunch post on Twitter at #LeWeb http://bit.ly/6D7737 50,000 regist.apps2date-been built using Twitter APIs
- http://twitpic.com/stpxx – #TG09 At #LeWeb party at Hotel De Ville, Paris
- http://twitpic.com/swo0a – #TG09 #leweb Watched Tony Hsieh discuss @zappos culture of happiness, advice “don’t chase money – chase vision” #
- http://twitpic.com/swofs #TG09 @loic & Geraldine Le Meur 2nd day of #leweb @leweb Great conf.to learn about European&global web trends
- Created pearltree: TravelingGeeks – check it out here: http://pear.ly/dQHD (will be adding another Traveling Geeks Pearltree for more)
- Finished at #LeWeb heading out to our last night out in Paris. We are all going to finish putting up posts http://travelinggeeks.com/
- RT @jowyang Slides: Three ways companies can develop strategies to respond to real-time way. http://bit.ly/91I2vB
- RT @olivez My main stage photo gear @ #leweb is 70-200mm 2.8 with x2 extender on a Canon EOS 5D II. 1500 pics so far today. It rocks. #tg09.
- RT @dspark My summary of the entire show. “The cool and not-so-cool from #LeWeb” http://bit.ly/7ENbbx #tg09
- Enjoyed Paris and #LeWeb, getting ready to go back to California.
- Flying back f/ Paris,Checked International Data plan f/4 days in Paris on my
BlackBerry emailing & Twittering: Plan is 200MB,I used 153MB
This post is written by Beth Blecherman of TechMamas.com. Reproduction of this article with permission only. This was a sponsored trip organized by the Traveling Geeks. Disclosure policy can be found on the Traveling Geeks website. Bitly short URL for this post: http://bit.ly/8as0ZQ