I was looking at the Digg front page for the most popular news stories and I found this link: “Funniest Sexest Washing Machine Tag Ever“.
Now is that sexist or sexiest? So I had to take a look. It is a
picture of a shirt tag with wash instructions. The bottom of the tag
says: “Give it to your Mom, it’s her job“. Now why is this such a hot offbeat news story? The post had 2,496 diggs and 90
comments as of 5:30 pm tonight. All for a shirt tag?? Some called the
submitter names I won’t repeat, and he even replied that he goofed and
meant “sexist” not “sexest”. Well, with a large population of Gen-X males reading Digg, you can imagine the comments:
- Yashar said -” haha nice, i’m going to show this to my mom. I’ll probably get smacked.
- to which YOtsuya replied: On the other hand, giving laundry to your dad would probably earn you a whipping.
- Morriscat: Dr. Freud, what say you?
- GawtMilk: SEXIST, as in: “Honey, I need a new watch”.
“Why? There’s a clock on the stove” Not SEXY, as in: Ooh, I’m a real
- neoform : It’s an edit. Here’s the exact same picture, but this one says “Give it to your wife”…
Another mom with three sons said:
- siszam: I’m the mother of three sons. I do laundry all the time and the tag IS funny. You people need to lighten up and laugh a little.
Moms make note: start your kids at an early age doing their own laundry (or at least helping).
But I do want to pass on a secret to those Gen-X guys. What I remember from being a single gal is that my friends and I found men that do their own laundry very sexy. That is one of the things that attracted me to my husband.
Originally published at the Silicon Valley Moms Blog