Other than the obvious apps that come with the iPhone that save us in daily life like SMS, e-mail, Calendar, Maps, Weather, iPhoto, etc., here are ten great iPhone applications to download from the App Store that have good uses for moms (and dads).
1. ICE – In Case of Emergency – important app for emergency contact info including doctors, allergies, medications, etc. for you and your kids.
2. WebMD Mobile – Allows for quick lookup of symptoms and helps to determine when children need to go to the doctor or the emergency room.
3. LocalPicks – Great ideas for restaurants when your kids are about to have a meltdown – you can find out what’s close, fast.
4. Light – Turn your iPhone into a light in the dark when kids are scared or if you need to find something, like car keys.
5. Scribble Lite – A fun program for the preschool and Kinder set, they can paint and draw from your iPhone.
6. Bubbles – For the little ones, this is a great way to pass the time – you or they make bubbles and pop them.
7. Facebook – Stay in touch with mom friends or cyberstalk your kids and their friends; also good for comic relief when you need a break.
8. Pandora – Builds custom radio stations for you based on your preferences: drown out the kids or make them think you’re cool.
9. iChalky – Hours of silly fun, stretching a little faux chalk-like hangman type character (and don’t forget to try inserting your kids’ faces).
10. SitOrSquat – Last, but certainly not least, this helps locate nearby restrooms and identifies whether they are clean, safe, etc.
Sarah Granger, tech mom of one, has written for the Silicon Valley Moms Blog, Bay Area Parent, Playborhood, techPresident and Digital Landing.